[hdvideo id=1041 ratingscontrol=on views=on title=on]
November 21, 2015 Saul Canelo Alvarez vs Miguel Cotto Full Fight Replay
Video: (Free embeddable video hosted on Youtube and not uploaded by boxingvideo.org, to report it please visit this link where the video is hosted)
Mandalay Bay Hotel & Casino, Events Center, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA For the vacant WBC World middleweight title
Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez vs Migue Cotto title fight review
All the hype and talk about the highly anticipated middle weight championship bout reached a climax on Saturday 21 November, Saul Canelo Alvarez made his intentions crystal when he totally Eclipsed the immediate former Middle weight champion, Miguel Cotto.
Alvarez the new WBC middleweight champion won the match with an undisputed decision over Cotto.
The huge crowd of 11,274 boxing fans favored overwhelmingly the 25-year-old Canelo Alvarez, who proved that learnt something in his one-sided defeat by Floyd Mayweather in 2013.
Unfortunately,the fight was not the historical one that fans worldwide were hoping and waiting to see. Cotto only showed hi jab and moved round the ring trying to get openings while running away from strength and power of Alvarez.
Alvarez on the other hand did not dominate the ring the and also threw very few shots. But the ones that landed mattered at the end of the final round.
Cotto actually threw more jabs that did not matter than Alvarez and in the process stock pilled them.
But Alvarez literally punished Cotto with jabs that proved that he is gaining experience and he is not afraid to fight a technical fight. Cotto disappointed by landing a miserable 75 of 255 shots for a fighter of his experience.
Well, Cotto earned a $15m pay but did not even give a post bout press conference. His response being a simple wow!
Freddie Roach, Cotto’s trainer on the other hand thought that he had won the match and said that Cotto stuck to the fight strategy to near perfection. But he was bothered with the scoring that was so wide. They couldn’t have lost the fight by that margin he said.
Well, Cotto lost the match and must now decide what he wants to do. Either go back to the ring or take his $15 million and retire and wait for the call from the boxing Hall of Fame. Which he will definitely receive.
If Alvarez gets in the ring with Golovkin he will be the underdog even with his improvement. A fight between Alvarez and Golovkin is one that boxing fight have demanded over the years and Saturday’s win definitely is a significant fight towards that bout. WBC ruled that the winner of the fight would fight with Golovkin. Cotto said a few before the bout that would commit the fight sanction fee which meant that Golovkin would automatically have become the winner if Cotto won the fight. This definitely pointed to Cotto’s frame of mind as he entered the ring. Could we be looking at a Miguel Cotto retirement?
Earlier on before the fight, Golovkin had predicted a Canelo Alvarez fight when he was asked if he thought Canelo would win. These two fighters may meet in a fight that has the promise of fireworks in the 2016 calendar.
Alvarez did not struggle to beat Cotto who at 35 is a decade older than him. The judges were unanimous with the Alvarez win scoring him 11- 12 rounds. Alvarez who obviously was the the better and stronger one literally wore Cotto down. He landed very significant blows especially on the body. Cotto only was aggressive in the 8th round which was the match highlight when he exchanged jabs with Alvarez.
Golovkin was all smiles when the match ended definitely looking forward to his chance in the ring with the new champion.